A 355-Square-Foot Apartment That Makes the Most of Every Inch

When I set out to write The Little Book of Living Small, my book about small spaces, there were a few homes I knew I just had to photograph for the book. Among them, a studio apartment that I had seen in O at Home magazine (Oprah’s now-defunct decorating magazine). I’d saved the photos of this perfectly-designed studio apartment for more than a decade because I found them so inspiring. So, I was delighted when I was able to track down the owner, Alisa Regas, and was especially thrilled when I found out she still lived in the same studio all these years later—and she had barely changed a thing (talk about classic design choices!).

When Regas bought her West Village apartment nearly twenty years ago, she wasn’t the least bit worried about its size. Before the advent of tell-all-renovation blogs, Regas, like me, had been the kind of person who clipped space-saving ideas from magazines and books for years, and had even tracked down architects to ask them for their sources.

Read More >>